Monday, July 23, 2012

Smiles and Tears


The rest of the week I continued to help Steven with the English classes. My days began at 8am with the three morning classes then lunch at around 12pm and finally the afternoon classes at 2pm till 4pm. The morning classes were with the little ones from Transicion (pre-kindergarten). The classes were 30 minutes each and then afternoon classes with the Semilleros, the 7th graders. I helped professor Steven with all the pronunciations and just keeping the little ones focused. With the afternoon classes, I mainly assisted in the dialogues or with any questions that they had on their assignments.







This weekend, July 20th, I went to Planeta Rica, a small town about six hours from Barranquilla in a car. I bought a bus ticket that costs 50,000 COP (about 25 US dollars) that dropped me off in Monteria, which is 45 minutes away from the town. I met my grandparents and some family at the bus terminal. One of my cousins was getting married on Saturday and my grandparents were celebrating their 50th anniversary on Sunday. They actually got married in Planeta Rica 50 years ago in the same church that still stands today. I felt honored to share this important moment with them. After the transportation terminal we all decided to go eat seafood since the fish here is amazing. I had Bagre (I think that was the name, either way it was delicious).




Saturday came along and the wedding preparations began. Every Colombian woman needs to look her best at all times. It can be 101 degrees outside but they will wear make up, nice clothes and heels if they find it necessary. You can just imagine how it was on the actual wedding day. Everyone was up bright and early ready to get pretty. The house they live in is shared by most of the family and it is separated into several apartments. Three women came to the house to do hair and another one to do nails. Yes I took advantage of this too; I got my nails and hair done although I was aware that my hair would not last too long in the scorching heat. After a long day of preparation, it was wedding and party time!







Hora Loca! 

After much partying and picture taking it was time for party number two. Sunday preparations began early for my grandparents’ wedding. They basically re-married in the same church they did 50 years ago. Beautiful. The church was full of people. The whole town was probably there. I had the honor to give them the rings. When they were placing the rings on each other’s hands, they started tearing up which then caused everyone in that church to get teary eyed as well. Tears of happiness. They couldn’t even speak! It was so cute and such a happy moment for all of us. The feeling was indescribable.


    




When we got home after the wedding, tables were set up and a band waiting for us! The band is called Papayera, a type of band that plays music originating in the Caribbean region of Colombia. We were not expecting that at all! 

Everyone settling in.



Back to Barranquilla I go! 



2 comments: