Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Last Days at Pies Descalzos


I went back to Pies Descalzos bright and early to continue on the English classes. As I entered the classroom, professor Steven told me that the volunteer coordinator wanted to see me as soon as possible. I went to the main office, knocked on her door and she told me to walk right in and take a seat. Was I in trouble? What did I do wrong? All these other questions fluttered my mind. She told me that the teacher in charge of the elementary classes was a little upset that I was never formally introduced to her before I began volunteering in her classes. She advised me that the teacher is, how can I put it, a little complicated. That is the nicest way to put it. She apologized to me for not having introduced us but that it had to be done as soon as possible.


Now I was a little nervous to meet this famous complicated teacher. Why was she so upset? Shouldn’t teachers be happy and grateful for volunteers to help with their classes? Any who, we went looking for her all over the school and finally ran into her in the hallway. We were finally introduced and she never looked at me once throughout the whole conversation with the volunteer coordinator. As she started walking away from me I said it was a pleasure to meet her, she never looked back. It all made sense now. I went on with my days at the foundation and I greeted her when she came my way but we never had a conversation.

So basically my role at this foundation was to be an assistant in the English classes. I have interacted with many students and professors throughout my time here. I did not have an opportunity to go out into the neighborhoods that the children live in because I was mainly helping at the foundation. It was unfortunate because the reason the kids are all here is because they live in poverty. I would have wanted to see the motive for the building of this foundation in this barrio. My last day was August first and it was so hard saying goodbye! Two students that graduated from the foundation interviewed me about my experience there, sort of like a testimony. The foundation likes to keep track of all their volunteers. It was interesting because these students are now at the university studying film. I felt proud of them for getting so far and actually shooting for their dream.

I am going to miss all those little ones and I definitely hope to be back one day to visit. I told them I would be back and expect to have full conversations in English with them. On to my next stepping stone…









 <3 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Natalia!

    I found your blog through Google. I have a few questions about the Barefoot Foundation schools and I would be delighted to learn from you. What are the ages of students at the school for which you volunteered? I saw you mentioned 9th graders in one post; is education offered through the end of high school? Do you happen to know if computer science is offered at any level at the school? Do you know if volunteers are needed in STEM fields?

    Thanks so much for your help!
    -J

    ReplyDelete