Thursday, August 16, 2012

Rain or Shine


“Being soaked alone is cold. Being soaked with your best friend is an adventure.” –Emily Wing Smith

The morning classes went well. We reviewed the numbers and then went over the vowels in English. I have been working with Luis Felipe, Jose David and Ronald. Some of them catch on pretty quickly but others do not. I will work on that. I had lunch with Naomi at El Rodadero, same place where they serve the meals for 6,000COP.

The afternoon classes were an adventure. It started off as usual, starting with the alphabet the letter A through E using the flashcards that I brought. All of the sudden, it started pouring! The kids jumped off their seats and ran out the door into the pouring rain! It seemed they had not seen rain in ages! They were screaming and singing and playing joyfully in it. As much as I wanted to run in there with them, I preferred staying dry to take pictures and videos! They looked so happy and free! It was chaos. Fun chaos. 






Look at that smile...



Some of the children went inside and got their notebooks and started doing schoolwork. I took advantage of this moment and sat down with them to work on the alphabet. I had them write upper and lower case letters and then draw a picture of something that started with that letter. I gave them stickers for their beautiful work.



Water going in the school :( 


Andres Felipe, Loraine and Karol <3


A new volunteer went today for the first time. He was already nervous to begin with and as soon as it started raining and the kids ran outside, he looked so scared. He asked if they were normally like this. Like how?! They were so happy and were having so much fun. The guy never came back haha.

Every Thursday people meet at a restaurant by the oceanfront called Punta Betïn for a language exchange. People from Santa Marta that want to learn English or perfect it, come out to speak to foreigners and vice versa. It is a great way to meet people and just have a good time and drink. Since I am bilingual, I can help in both languages so I mainly go just to hang out and have a drink or two. Who wouldn't want to do that? :)





No comments:

Post a Comment